Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Welcome to the Forums

Posted by Sanjuro 
Welcome to the Forums
August 27, 2008 03:06PM
Feel free to discuss anything Kenshin OVA related, stuff about the site, or whatever you want. Have fun!
Eygen
Re: Welcome to the Forums
December 22, 2008 12:43AM
Hey there =D
I'm watching the Rourouni Kenshin episodes now...it's going very slow though because I can't find any good quality, subtitles episodes of RK online, so I'm downloading a torrent now, but it's going so slow because there's only 1 seeder and I've got an extremely bad network. Anyway, I'm at episode 20 now and it's pretty cool. I'm also downloading a torrent for the OVA but that's going even slower...lol
Quite empty in here isn't it?
December 22, 2008 02:15AM
Hey Eygen,
Since the OVA is only 4 episodes on 2 DVD's, it's something that's worth buying and won't drain your wallet. You can probably find the Trust and Betryal dvd's for 5 dollars each on ebay if you're lucky.
If you're dead set on using torrents, there are a lot of seeders at piratebay. Make sure you run searches for "Samurai X" and "Trust and Betrayal" as well.
Jack
January 24, 2009 05:25PM
Dude, you should advertise your site on Facebook's Kenshin fanclub or something, it'll definitely increase the popularity and make your forum more lively tongue sticking out smiley
February 19, 2009 04:29AM
Hey there,

Thank you very much for this website. It definitely makes one happy to see that there are other people with the same opinions. I recently re-watched the OVAs again (not even sure how many times I've seen them already) and was looking for some historical information about the four hitokiri of the royalists and that's how I found your site.

What you wrote about Rurouni Kenshin OVA could have been my own words. It's perfection in all aspects. It was one of the first anime I've ever seen and well... after that there was only one which made a really strong impression (though not even close).

And actually one more thing that really made me happy - you really seem to appreciate that work of art for all its qualities, whereas on many other anime websites you mostly see people chatting away about romantic love and stuff... Ehh...

Anyway... Domo arigatou gozaimashita *bows* winking smiley

+++ I do it to change the world. That's all the justification I need. +++
February 21, 2009 12:35AM
Hi Yukiko,
Thank you for your kind words about this site, and welcome to the forums.
I've only read a bit on wiki about the four hitokiri, but it seems that Kenshin was based loosely on Kawakami Gensai. Please let us know if you find anything interesting about the hitokiri in your research.

May I ask which was the other anime that made a strong impression on you?
I've been working on a media page which will have recomendations for anime, movies, and games related to Kenshin, the Bakumatsu era, or just samurai in general.

I'm glad that you see how much I appreciate the Kenshin OVA. I've started collecting cels now, and it's an amazing feeling to own a physical piece of the artwork.

Thank you for visiting, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
February 21, 2009 08:03AM
Thank you for the warm welcome.

Well, for now I haven't read much more than wikipedia myself. I couldn't find any materials saying more about the hitokiri and yes I realize Himura was apparently based on Kawakami Gensai. However, reading Kawakami's bio one can see the connection is really loose - the "profession" and the idealistic character mostly. winking smiley

Anyway, I was also reading about the guy Kenshin is said to be named after - the so called Dragon of Echigo, Uesugi Kenshin (known also under a few other names). That seems to be quite an interesting character, although not an assassin but a daimyo.

As far as the other anime that really impressed me as a whole (though as I said not as strongly as RK) - it's Samurai Champloo - visual side, the characters concepts, the plot, the music, etc - everything was really good and seemed to fit perfectly with the rest.
And generally, I mostly watch and read stuff about samurai/feudal Japan - anime, old japanese movies, books, etc.

And congrats on the cells - especially the one with Himura - I've read on the website. You are a really devoted fan. I cannot compare to you.

PS. Do you maybe play rpg by any chance?

February 21, 2009 09:00PM
What I found interesting about Kawakami is that he shows how someone short and fast moving would make an excellent assassin. He also demonstrated how effective sword-drawing techniques were in assassinations. Having a historical counterpart makes Kenshin all the more believable and awesome.
I was reading some stuff on wiki about Serizawa Kamo, who Shishio Makoto is supposedly based on, and I came across this poem that he wrote:

「 雪霜 に 色 よく 花 の 魁て   散り ても 後に   匂ほう 梅が 香」

Yukishimo ni
Iroyoku hana no
Sakigakete
Chiritemo nochi ni
Niou ume ga ka

This roughly translates as:

In the snow and frost,
The color remains,
And still giving off its scent after the scattering of the petals;
Such ume is the perfume.

Is it just me, or does this poem seem reminiscent of the last ep in the OVA?

I don't know much about Uesugi Kenshin, but everytime I run a search on Kenshin I come across some anime girl that bares the same name.

Samurai Champloo had excellent fight scenes, but I guess my problem with it was that it didn't have much of a narrative and didn't take itself too seriously. It's still a good anime though, and the last fight scene was amazing when they double teamed that ridiculously skilled swordmaster.

Thank you for the congratulations on the cel. It took me a couple months of running ebay searches, but I finally got it. Right now is actually a pretty good time to buy cels, since the economy is poor, people are more willing to part with thier collections, so there are a lot more Kenshin OVA cels floating around than normally.

PS. I used to help my friend run a roleplaying site a couple years ago, but I'm more into video games now. There was this very deep pc game out a few years ago which let people duel competitively online. It was called Jedi Knight II. Being a starwars game, the duels were with lightsabers, but with a few mods, you could transform the lightsabers into katanas. They had a full samurai mod, and people tried to make a full Kenshin mod too, but the project was too abitious and didn't work out in the end.
February 21, 2009 10:45PM
Well, of course you're right about Kawakami, but the thing is that looking from today's perspective both being small and fast and using iaijustsu/battojutsu techniques in assassination seem so obvious I never thought he was the first.

Interesting poem. And yes I agree with you. It does.

Which brings me to another topic - one of the reason I really loved Kenshin OVA is that it is full of some metaphorical dialogues, scenes and motives - like old (but not only old) Japanese movies. I was actually wondering why ume was chosen as a scent, what exactly did the owner of the house where Kenshin and Tomoe were staying in Kyoto mean by "irises smell strongest in the rain even if it's rain of blood" (the explanations could be a few) and many other details.

Uesugi Kenshin, the Dragon of Echigo was the daimyo of the province in 17th century I think. He was the main opponent of Takeda Shingen, the Tiger of Kai. Their war lasted for 10 or 15 years - and Kenshin was the wall on which the conquers of Takeda clan broke. Actually, it's just the name - nothing else really binding Uesugi and Himura. But if you wanted to find out more about the story of the Dragon of Echigo, there are certainly some books and movies touching upon it - I myself read only one until now "Samurai Banners" by Inoue Yasushi and there's a movie from 1969 based on the novel. It concentrates more on Takeda clan, though.

What I mostly loved about Samurai Champloo were all the little details, bits of intertextuality and references to various things - I'm quite sure I haven't caught all or even most of them, because my knowledge of Japan is definitely not enough, but still it was a lot of fun to notice them. You know, it's nice when you can see the author actually wants to play with the viewer/audience. And all those subjects connected to Japanese culture, way of life, history, art, etc made this anime so much more than just a story of three people travelling smiling smiley
Also the way the plot was constructed - the fact that for the most part only small mentions of the main subjects appeared - was great because it also reminded me of many old works of Japanese cinema and it made the tory so much more interesting as so many different things happened on the way.
And the sense of humor was also good.
Actually the only thing I didn't like was the ending - I think it should end when Jin and Mugen stand against each other on the beach and draw their swords.

So no roleplaying anymore? And yes, I played Jedi Knight II - I love Star Warssmiling smiley I was asking about rpg because Himura is an excellent inspiration for creating characters.

February 22, 2009 12:47AM
Yeah, all of the poetics, metaphors and imagery really enhance the Kenshin OVA. I love how they are so subtle, balanced, and integrated into the action so that one could still enjoy Kenshin immensely without truly understanding them. I guess that’s why we can watch the OVA’s so many times without them getting old or boring. There are a lot of Japanese cultural and historical references that we’ll have a hard time picking it all up though. It’s funny, before I watched the OVA, I didn’t know anything about the Meiji Restoration, but after watching it multiple times, and reading stuff online so I could understand what was going on at the time, it feels like I’ve taken a course in Japanese history.

The poem also reminds me of a song by Nine Inch Nails called “And All That Could Have Been.” It’s a very beautiful song and I’m planning on using it to make an AMV with Kenshin footage once I have enough free time.

I remember this one episode of Champloo where they were fighting zombies or something and I became very confused, haha. Have you seen Sword of the Stranger? It’s a lot like Samurai Champloo and Kenshin.

No more roleplaying for me. Do you play?

Did you play JK2 online? I haven’t played in ages but I would like to challenge you to a no force duel! smiling smiley
March 01, 2009 10:57PM
Hey,

Sorry for long reply time but I was away on business trip and didn't really have time to enjoy the more pleasant sides of the Internet recently.

Anyway - I haven't see the Sword of the Stranger, but recently a friend was trying to convince me to watch Blade of the Immortal (or something like that). I'm always open for suggestions of new anime experiences smiling smiley

As I said I'm interested in Japanese history and culture in general, so I read and watch a lot about it. Although it's true that usually I was more interested in older history - especially Sengoku and thanks to Kenshin I got more into Restoration time. .

If you ever make that AMV let me know - I love that song too and I'd really like to see it winking smiley

I do play, though recently mostly on Internet boards, because it's hard to get all the people together at one time for a game - all my friends now work, some have families, so it's not like the old student times anymore, when we didn't have so many obligations :/ But as I like to write, I enjoy PBF as well.

And yes, I played JK2 online, but that was some time ago - recently I barely have time to play computer games unfortunately. Being adult is a terrible thing all in all. Heh.

March 05, 2009 08:55AM
Hey,
Where did you go for your business trip?
You should definitely check out Sword of the Stranger. I haven't watched the blade of the immortal anime, but I've read the manga and it's really good. It's kind of funny, whenever I read a manga before watching the anime, I'm not as interested in the anime. But if I watch the anime first, the manga seems less apealing. I guess whichever one I see first seems better to me since the material is still fresh. I guess the manga are usually more true to the creator's vision, but I think the Death Note anime was a lot more entertaining than the manga.

Are you a NIN fan as well? Trent Reznor is probably my all time favourite artist.

What is PBF? Perry Bible Fellowship comes to mind, but that's a online comic.

Did you ever play the first Jedi Knight? It was the most amazing game, with awesome live action cinematics. It was also the first game I ever played online. I wish they would make a new Jedi Knight, but it seems like everything is aimed at consoles nowadays.
I guess I should make the best of the last few years of school and get my gaming in now!
August 04, 2011 03:14AM
I just found this website, and just wanna tell you that you totally rule! I didn't know the blu-ray of RuroKen was coming out! Now I can't wait!
August 09, 2011 03:37PM
Thanks Lellow! Hope you enjoyed your visit!
August 25, 2012 07:50AM
Hello,
I'm Nagi, nice to meet you all, I'm a huge fan of the series and I especially love the OVAs mostly because the artwork is so beautiful. I am currently enjoyed the fact there is a live action movie, I hope it does come to the US.

Oh I do have another Samurai anime that might make people look Carried by the Wind, Tsukage Ran, its pretty funny, but it has a lot of action and some historical figures in it. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2012 07:55AM by SilverSilenceNagi.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.